Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Altoids: Cool Honey



It's been a long while since we last had a new Altoids flavor. (If I am not mistaken, it was the Creme de Menthe.) And I was really stoked to see the new Cool Honey flavor in the kiosk at Walgreens.



Cool Honey, one would assume from the tin art, is a mint/honey combo. Since Altoids are advertised as being "curiously strong," I was a bit unsure of how that was actually going to work out.



I wasn't sure if it was going to be a super-sweet fake honey taste (which, oddly enough, can sometimes be good) with a little hint of mint...or if it would be a super-strong mint that picks up that sort of toasty flavor that honey sometimes gets when used in hot tea.

Fortunately, it is sort of a hybrid of the two options. Peppermint is definitely the stronger of the two flavors; and while it is bold and refreshing, it doesn't have quite as powerful a kick as a regular peppermint Altoid. The honey adds sweetness and mellows the mint while not overwhelming it.

It reminded me of a hard version of a Butter Mint. And I loved the little bumblebee patterned tin!

Nice. Very nice.



PURCHASED FROM:
Walgreens




1 comment:

Doug Hendrickson said...

I wasn't sure what to think when I saw them, but it's Altoids, so I had to try...and I admit, I think I like em. Not as potent, but still plenty of mint.

I haven't been a huge fan of some of their choices, but this is a good one imo.