Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thornton's Viennese Truffle Bar



Believe it or not, this is my very first Thornton's bar EVER! I am well aware of the Thornton's line because of Jim's many reviews, and of course Cinabar's Foodstuff Finds reviews. And once again, we have Cinabar to thank for a review of yet another U.K. product. Everyone say thank you to Cinabar for sending out this bar as part of our epic "Oceans Be Damned!" candy swap!



This little bar is roughly the length of a Twix, and consists of a mousse center (it looks like chocolate mousse from the picture) that's encased in what Thornton's calls its "special mixture of white and milk chocolate," and then the whole thing gets a little sprinkle of sugar.

Even through the packaging, the bar feels short and pudgy...kinda like Ricky Gervais.



The question is, would the bar prove to be as deliciously wonderful as Ricky?

No worries, Ricky. You can sleep soundly tonight.

Let's start with the texture. When I read the word "mousse" I expect to get something that is fluffy, light and airy. I will grant you that this bar has traveled well over 5,000 miles to get to me -- and maybe something happened in transit that caused the texture to change. That said, the overall texture of the bar was more like what we in The States consider to be fudge-like. It's very dense, a little grainy, but it is cool on the tongue. In any case, "mousse" would not be the word I would use to describe it.



Taste? It reminded me of raw cookie dough -- and in the worst way possible. It's way too sweet, and yet oddly salty (and not in the good way, either).

What's weird is that it doesn't actually taste much like chocolate. It just tastes like sugar. Intense sugar that burns the back of your throat. If there is a difference in taste between the two layers, I couldn't tell you what it was.

Yeah, as a matter of fact I think I will send the rest of the bar to Ricky and see if he can get Karl Pilkington to feed it to monkeys. There really isn't anything nice I can say about this bar.

Be sure to check out Jim's review here. He didn't like it much more than I did.



PURCHASED FROM:
Gift from Cinabar of Foodstuff Finds.

CALORIES:

195 calories per bar.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Contains milk and soy. May contain nut traces.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

thorntons.co.uk

No comments: