Saturday, August 22, 2009

Pillsbury Savorings Artichoke & Spinach Bread Bowl Bites



One of my favorite things to have for dinner is "hors d'œuvres." I am not going to lie. It's not like I'm puttering around my kitchen making mini quiche. I wish I was, but I just don't have that kind of free time.



Pillsbury has had the Savorings line out for about a year now. But for whatever reason, I never got around to acquiring a box. Today, I finally did! The Artichoke & Spinach bread bowls are new -- and I love artichoke too much to be able to pass it up.

But maybe I should rethink that last...



Presentation-wise, the little bowls are pretty darn cute...as almost everything mini tends to be. Each bowl is the size of a large button mushroom. The bowls, which browned nicely, seem to be made out of the same dough that the Pillsbury crescent rolls are. Only take out everything that makes the crescent rolls good (i.e., major amounts of buttery-type product). What's left is a really bland bowl that is not crunchy, but not chewy, and not worth the calories wasted.

The filling is spinach and artichoke in a cheese-type sauce, which is then covered in a melted cheese. The spinach is represented only by little green flecks that may have once been actual spinach. The less said about it, the better.

The artichokes are just sad. They taste freezer-burned, which I suppose is a possibility...but the other ingredients don't have that taste, and this particular line has just been launched recently. So I am not sure what the deal is there.

The cheese sauce that the artichoke and spinach are encased in is sparse and salty. It's kind of like Alfredo sauce for people who aren't sure they like Alfredo sauce. I am not sure what kind of cheese is on top -- again, it did brown quite nicely, it just didn't have much taste one way or the other.

It's not like I was expecting something Martha Stewart would serve at cocktails to come out of the box, I was just expecting something that was -- at the very least -- good in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. Yet these didn't even have that much going for them. They were just plain bad. All the more disappointing, because they did look so good.

Maybe they were made to be seen and not eaten?



5 comments:

Yum Yucky said...

Oh darn. The pictures are awesome. It looks homemade. Too bad they're terrible.

Unknown said...

I am telling you, even in real life these things looked good!- they just taste like cardboard... only less good.

The Doughboy owes me some calories back...

Gina said...

mmm i had them they are good. like the garlic

one problem taste like pizza not bread bowl.

Unknown said...

Soul Seeker,
Interesting take. I didn't get pizza at all. You can have the rest of mine!

Unknown said...

I am a big fan or the Savorings Pastry Puffs but who is the dummy that decided to put such a great combination of Artichoke & Spinach into a bread bowl that is not only hard and rubbery but taste stale. I can't believe it, is Pillsbury is trying to ruin their good name? Why didn't you just put the Artichoke & Spinach in the Pastry Puffs?