Saturday, April 10, 2010

Trader Joe's Organic Milk Chocolate Covered Mini Peanut Butter Crackers



Waaaay back in the day (I am talking about when dinosaurs roamed the Earth), my parents had a large business. And in their office, they had what the adult me realizes was a really kick ass break room. To eight-year-old me, the highlight of going to work with them was the fact that said break room was equipped with a candy machine. Yeah, I realize parental bonding maybe should have been higher on the list, but let's be honest: it was all about the candy.

Inside said machine were packages of peanut butter crackers. Some of them were the bright orange "cheese" style crackers, and some of them were the butter cracker style. I loved them regardless (although I did prefer the "cheese"). I still like peanut butter crackers in my old age. And when I saw this chocolate covered version at Trader Joe's, I had to try them.



Not only are they chocolate covered, they are also organic -- so if it makes you feel better about eating something sweet, well there you go.

Each little cracker is roughly the size of a U.S. quarter. The sandwich style cracker is enrobed in a surprisingly thick layer of chocolate. The cracker itself reminds me more of a saltine than the butter cracker I was expecting, but I actually liked that. I probably would have liked the butter cracker more, but this way the cracker adds crunch without its flavor competing with the chocolate or the peanut butter.



The chocolate itself is decent. It's very smooth and creamy and cool on the tongue. In terms of flavor, it's not bad. It could be better, tough -- it's a little too sweet, and tastes more like milk that is flavored with chocolate than actual milk chocolate. I wouldn't eat an entire bar of this chocolate, but it works well enough with the snack as a whole.



The peanut butter is just sort of sad. It's super smooth -- which is good, but it's really bland. It's a little too sweet (notice a theme?), it's not really salty, and there is no sense of the nuts ever having been roasted. It's more like the idea of peanut butter rather than real peanut butter, if that makes any sense.

It's not that these are a bad snack. If anything they are just sort of "meh." I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid them. But nor would I be excited to have some offered to me, or to see them on sale (as this container was).



PURCHASED FROM:
Trader Joe's

PRICE:

$0.99

CALORIES:

230 calories per 9 pieces.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Contains peanuts. Made on equipment shared with eggs and tree nuts.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

traderjoes.com

No comments: