Monday, March 30, 2009

Albertson's Buttermilk Pancakes

Photobucket
I really like pancakes. I know I should try to make my own from scratch because I am sure they would worlds better then anything I could buy boxed or frozen-
But the thing is my pancake craving NEVER comes at a convenient time. I can go months without even thinking about them and since I don't eat breakfast on a daily basis I never think to keep the ingredients on-hand. Conversely, I really don't like the box versions. I am not sure what it is that I don't like about it I just know I don't like it. Really what this leaves are two options: go out for pancakes or eat the frozen kind.

Now, having had pancakes from one end of the country to the other and having had them homemade, from greasy spoons and from higher end places my all-time favorite pancake is still the old school McDonald's pancakes from back when they still made the batter in-store- sadly they stopped doing that in the mid-nineties. At any rate I hold the memory of those pancakes as my benchmark.

Because they were on sale at a ridiculously low price I decided to try the Albertson's store version rather then a name brand.

The pancakes themselves are portioned well, about the size of a saucer and thick enough to be fluffy but not so thick that they get gummy in the center. The recommended cooking time in the microwave (because I was feeling ultra-lazy) is 1 minute 10 seconds for three pancakes. Following the cooking time the pancakes came out hot and soft and managed to avoid turning into rocks (as microwaved pancakes can all to easily do) The texture was actually perfect- especially for frozen.
Flavor wise, they actually reminded me more of cheap frozen waffles then buttermilk pancakes. There's no real depth of flavor- but c'mon lets be fair we are talking about frozen pancakes. There's not really a trace of the buttermilk. If anything there is almost and eggy flavor to them. I have to say that flavor wise these are not quite as good as Eggo's version but they were passable, the texture was great and it was half the cost of the Eggo.


PURCHASED FROM:
Albertsons Supermarket



No comments: