Thursday, March 19, 2009

Matt's Munchies Apple Pie Fruit Leather

Photobucket
I love fruit leather, when I am smart enough to think ahead when it comes to lunch I try to always have one.
So when the good folks over at Matt's Munchies asked if I would like some of their leathers to try I jumped at the chance.

Matt's fruit leathers are all natural, organic. The are also gluten, nut, dairy, soy and egg free. They are also certified Vegan and Kosher Parve. AND they are less then 100 calories a serving. The sheets are roughly 4 inch strips of nori-like fruit.

I was in an apple mood so I decided to start with the Apple Pie flavor. the first interesting thing I noticed is that the apple pie flavor is in fact made with no apples but with banana's instead. With that in mind the first thing I had to do was the smell check, the smell is very, very cinnamony. It actually reminded me of those cinnamon scented brooms they sell around Halloween (which I happen to love them).

So did the banana end up tasting like apple?
Actually, yeah it does. It reminded me alot of the flavor of apple sauce. There's almost a floral quality to it, I couldn't tell if that is from the banana or the cinnamon. The cinnamon is just slightly fiery- which is for this leather works out well. I think if the cinnamon was the really "hot" variety it would just be too much.

Where the fact that it's actually made with banana rather then apple stands out is the texture. It starts out with that chewy yet firm texture fruit leather has but as it's in your mouth it sort of melts in that thickish, kinda creamy, kinda not way that banana's do (well frozen banana's) I think if you didn't know that the banana is there you most likely couldn't tell that it was not in fact made with apples.

I love the fact that these leather's are a snack I can have without screwing up my diet. And one package is a very generous serving. I am not sure if this will end up being my favorite flavor of the bunch (I have a feeling that is going to be the Mango) but I am excited to try the rest.

PURCHASED FROM:
Sample From Company
You can purchase directly from them by visiting their website HERE or by phone at (516)319-3135


1 comment:

Gluten Free Steve said...

THESE MUNCHIES ARE AMAZING!!

I saw them in an NYC health food store, and I have to say they are my new favorite snack. It seems like they have changed their packaging (for the better) and have also added some new flavors. I also noticed that are USDA Organic (big points), Gluten free, Kosher and Vegan. I went to their website (www.mattsmunchies.com) to see what they were all about, and I was impressed. Since then I have tried all of their 9 flavors. The newer ones (that aren’t mentioned on here) are Chili chocolate, Chocolate raspberry and a mango-apple flavor. My favorites are still the Island Mango (mango-coconut that tastes like a vacation) and Ginger Spice.

I would definitely check these out if you have not already.

Great job guys!