Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ritter Sport- Strawberry Yogurt (Erdbeer Joghurt)

Photobucket
Is something automatically healthy if it has yogurt in it?
It's pretty hard not to like strawberry yogurt one way or the other and how could it possibly be bad mixed with chocolate? Thanks to the fine folks at Ritter we get to try it first hand.

When you open the bar- which is the traditional large square bar- it smells of sweet strawberry, there's the tangy almost sour smell of yogurt and of course the milky chocolate.

The yogurt layer is a semi-soft mousse like filling with studs of freeze dried strawberries. The yogurt has an almost New York Cheesecake style tartness to it. I couldn't tell if the strawberry flavor was from that- or if it was residual from the freeze dried pieces. I love the strawberry pieces, they add an unexpected crunch, they reminded me of Pop Rocks (without the pop) It's not a natural strawberry flavor, but that's alright. It's one of those things where it's so fake it's good.
The milk chocolate is the standard sweet Ritter. There is a strong dairy element. There's a nice smooth melt.

I wasn't sure I was going to like this bar. It could have been too fake, it could have been too sweet but it managed to be just right. I think a blueberry version of this would be really good!

PURCHASED FROM:
Economy Candy NYC


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a bar I have been sent t review ... but I am allergic to strawberry .... well the seeds in strawberry anyway!! I have risked it as of late with a few Milka bars and got away with it as the flavours are artificial! Not sure I am liking the sound of the freeze dried you talk about in this one! Do i risk it in the name of the Chocolate Mission??? Hmmmm!? Good review Gi!

Jim