Friday, May 16, 2008

R.I.P Klondike with Oreo Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich

Photobucket
Yesterday an anonymous commentor alerted me to the fact that they had been unable to find any of my beloved Oreo treats in stores any more
I sent off an email to the folks at Klondike/Unilever asking if they had in fact been discontinued and got the following email in return:

Dear Gigi,

Thank you very much for contacting us. I am sorry to inform you that the Klondike® Oreo® Ice Cream
Sandwiches has been discontinued.

Many factors contribute to a decision to discontinue a flavor or product, but they all boil down to the fact that we
didn't sell enough of the flavor or product to keep producing it. We know that you did your part to keep the
flavor or product in production. Please understand that we would rather not disappoint any of our consumers.

Thank you


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHY?! I would like to tell you that reading that email was not followed up by several hours of pouting and a liberal amount of whining. I would also like to tell you that I am tall. Some things just aren't going to happen today...

So, sadly we are saying an all to soon good bye to a great ice cream sandwich. While it will no longer fill our stomachs (or our thighs) it will live on in our hearts.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh! The other day when I was in the grocery store I saw Oreo Ice Cream sandwiches under a different brand.

Anonymous said...

I was first introduced to one of these goodies less than six months ago. How unfortunate that they will no longer be made!

However, ice cream companies Breyers and Good Humor are selling their own version of the Oreo ice cream cookie sandwich.

Breyers sells it in a package of five, and I've been able to find the product at local Southern California supermarkets. Good Humor sells its ice cream cookie sandwich in a single pack. I notice, though, that both Breyers and Good Humor do not have an Oreo cookie ice cream filling, but rather a regular vanilla ice cream filling.

Anonymous said...

Go figure, I spend an hour or so a week ago driving around to 20 or so gas stations looking for one of these. It used to be everywhere. Why?

However,
Fear not!

I bought a box of the Breyers and even though they have vanilla ice cream in the middle.. from memory alone they taste almost exactly the same. The cookie on the top is the same enough that it mixes with the taste of the vanilla anyway.

I saw these everywhere and laughed at their inferior vanilla centers but now we are stuck with them it seems..