Monday, February 25, 2008

Dolfin Chocolat- Hot Masala Bar

Photobucket
Could my love of all things Indian and my love of chocolate finally become one?!
Can this "hot" bar possibly be as hot as my favorite curry babe Jimi Mistry?:
Photobucket
These and other questions are about to be answered!

Masala it's self is a blend of spices- you may for example be familiar with Tikka Masala, which is one of the most popular Indian dishes. To be honest I couldn't tell you what the actual difference is spice wise. The point being that this would be a garam masala (warm or hot) and it can be made with such warm spices as black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, cardamom, dried chiles, fennel, mace, nutmeg etc.
Personally I think any one of those spices alone with chocolate would be great so I would expect nothing less from any combination of them.

I like the bars packaging. It's in a pretty pack sealed in glossy plastic pouch. It takes a little more effort to open and that added to the fun- and it makes it somewhat resealable if you choose to leave some for later.

When you open the pack containing the chocolate the heady smell of the spices comes right out. The clove and cinnamon hot you right away. The coriander and the cardamom are there. It was like a tiny visit to my favorite restaurant.

Once again lets cut to the taste.
I may not have smelled ginger but I sure did taste it! (I love ginger so for me it's a good thing) Fiery and clean. While masala may be a complex taste I can sum this up for you in three words: chocolate covered gingerbread. There is even a little burn that hits the back of your mouth as you finish!
The chocolate is milky and smooth. Just dark enough that it holds it's own with the spices but also light enough that it is still on the sweet side. It had a good even melt to it. There is a slightly sandy texture going on but I think that is from the spices rather then the chocolate. Either way it works in it's favor.

If I ever get my damn ratings system in place folks this bar would go to 11 it is just that good! In fact I think the only way to make it better would be getting to lick it off of Jimi Mistry... was that TMI?


PURCHASED FROM:
Whole Foods

No comments: