Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ben And Jerry's Flipped Out Peanut Butter Chocolate

Photobucket
The Flipped Out flavors are a new addition to the Ben & Jerry's line
The Flipped Out flavors differ from the regular pints because they are topped in a layer of chocolate fudge. The bottom of the cups have brownie pieces, and rather than 1 full pint they are sold in packages of two smaller cups. What's interesting is that front of the packaging and the description show the layers in reverse of how they are actually packaged.

Photobucket
The brownie layer was great!- It seems to be the same brownies that are used in some of the pints such as Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Very soft, with a rich fudgy flavor.

Photobucket
The base ice cream is a peanut butter flavor with a peanut butter swirl. LOVE IT!
The base peanut butter is very mild, it's almost more like a vanilla that's peanut butter flavored. The swirl- oh the swirl! it's almost exactly like peanut butter straight from the jar. It's has a strong roasted peanut flavor and is on the salty side. Why is salt added to ice cream so addicting?

The chocolate fudge layer is not what I was expecting. I had been expecting a hard chocolate shell type layer. But instead it is actually a simple chocolate syrup. Considering the package lists it as a "gooey" clearly the misunderstanding was all on my side. It doesn't live up to the greatness of the rest of the ice cream but it's not bad. This is one of the best flavors ever.

That being said I do have one issue and that is the cost compared to the amount of product. As I said at the beginning, the Flipped Out flavors come in packs of two small containers. Each non-resealable (it's a peel off lid) container contains 4 ounces of ice cream. That brings us to a grand total of 8 ounces of product. Not bad, it is a satisfying portion- BUT, at my local store the Flipped Out packs sell for only slightly under a dollar less then a full pint. As much as I may have liked it, with the economy the way it is and on a tighter budget then I care to think about, it is not so easy to part with nearly $4.00 a pop for half the portion of the pint- and if my market is doing one of the frequent two-pints-for-$6.00 sales that they run, there is even less of a chance I would buy it again. I find it more then a tad hypocritical of Ben & Jerry's to take snipes at Haagen-Dazs on their website for shrinking the size of the pint (click ME) and still charging the same price, when they themselves are charging almost as much for a product that contains a HALF pint of ice cream- although admittedly they are not actually calling it a pint or trying to imply it is. It just comes off to me like "plausible deniability."


Rating:
Photobucket
PURCHASED FROM:
Albertsons Supermarket



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the reason why it is backwards is because you are supposed to flip the ice cream out of the container [the brownies being the bottom crust]

Unknown said...

Oh my god that looks good :O :O :O

Unknown said...

Anon: I have a sneaking suspicion you are correct. And that said WHY on Earth did they ever think people would actually take the time to do that?

Jim: It is! The minute they are on sale (or my willpower breaks) I am so getting another pack.

Steph said...

I had it this weekend and it was ridiculously scrumptious!

Unknown said...

Stephanie: It really is unbelievably good- now if only they would do fully pints... (or lower the price I would be happy either way)

Jackie said...

Geez..... I must find this flavour here in Canada.

Anonymous said...

You're definitely supposed to flip it out of the container, lol. Did you really think Ben and Jerry's would mass produce a huge printing error like that? It took me a while too, (one cup), just read the diagram on the package. Regards.

Unknown said...

Lose that Girl: It is well worth any effort required to get it. Again, feel the need to beg Ben & Jerry's for a pint sized version (or lower the price I can work with either)

Anon: You are definitely right, they do expect you to invert the ice cream to eat it- what I want to know is how many people actually go through the trouble versus just eating it "backwards"

Anonymous said...

Honestly...how much trouble is it to flip it over onto a plate? You think this is too much to expect?

Unknown said...

Anon #2:
Clearly, as I just said in the above comment, yes I realize you are supposed to flip the container out. And no, it's not that it is all that big of a deal to do so. My question however, still remains how many people actually take the time to flip the product out onto a serving dish versus how many just eat it "backwards" straight from the container?

Anonymous said...

People are actually going to flip it out of the cup because it is meant to be a take home sundae without the expense of buying all the ingredients. You can eat it anyways you want but ...

Anonymous said...

ok here is the big question. If the bottom fudge is gooey like choc sauce, then how can you flip it out, when the choc/fudge sauce will get stuck to the bottom?

I know I know, you just spoon out the stuff stuck to the bottom and side, but still.

Im off to buy it to see for myself. wish me luck

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahha this is supposed to be a food review site and you didn't even understand that it's supposed to be flipped

Unknown said...

ANON #1:
did you ever go buy it?

Anon #2:
How is your Mom's basement?

MGianniny said...

The sauce doesn't stick b/c there's a little paper thing stuck to it. There's a demo video on the Ben & Jerry's website, and the way they show it is that the chocolate sauce is frozen when you take it out, you flip it, take the little paper piece off the top and voila! The chocolate sauce melts and drips down the sides, like in the pictures.

Unknown said...

Dea Della Luna:
I did not know that! (watch video: http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/flipped/)

Am I getting lazy in my old age or should ice cream not require how-to video's?