Thursday, April 30, 2009

Starbucks Java Chip Frappuccino Ice Cream

Photobucket
Believe it or not, Starbucks fan that I am, I have never had the Starbucks Ice Cream before.
Not sure why. I love Starbucks, I love ice cream -- so in theory, I should love Starbucks Ice Cream.

Photobucket
Yeah... that sounded like a good theory.

First thing, the texture was awful. Grainy. Airy. There was no smoothness, no creamy mouthfeel.

Next, the chips. They are not real chocolate, but instead are something called "dark chocolaty chunks." They aren't even good in terms of mockolate. The chunks are gritty and bitter. Think Ex-Lax, but less good.
Photobucket
And at last, the coffee flavor itself. Starbucks should be ashamed. Again, bitter is the word that comes to mind. It's like they took old grounds from the stores and used them to make the flavoring. There's a little sweetness but not enough to kill the burnt aftertaste.

Where did this go wrong? If STARBUCKS can't get COFFEE flavored ice cream right, there is just something seriously off in the universe.


Photobucket

PURCHASED FROM:
Albertsons Supermarket






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Java Chip Frappuccino is a crummy new version of Java Chip which used to be my favorite ice cream in the world! Starbucks switched mfrs several months ago. The old Java Chip was heaven on earth - smooth, rich, creamy - delicious! I bet you would have loved it!

The new Java Chip tastes thin (almost like ice milk), gritty and somewhat bitter. The chocolate chips are kind of waxy. I waited 4 months to get my Java Chip fix....I will never buy it again....what a disappointment.

Unknown said...

Anon: A few people have told me that the old version was 12 shades of awesome as well.

Again, I just don't get how STARBUCKS mucked up coffee ice cream so badly. You would think they could have at least softened the blow with real chocolate chunks but nooooo

Have you tried the Haagen-Dazs Java Chip? I have been dying to try it but my local store hasn't stocked it yet (or if they do it sells pretty damn good because I have never seen it)

beautiful said...

Java chip frap is my favorite thing to get at Starbucks.Maybe you guys just got a bad batch or something because I think the java chip ice cream is great.Its smooth,creamy,and taste just like the drink.I'm already addicted to it.But then again everybody has different palates.

Unknown said...

Beautiful:
I really want to think that it was a bad batch because I love Starbucks-- And it really screws up my sense of right and wrong in the Universe if they can't do coffee ice cream right.

Sadly, I have heard from many people that the new version of this ice cream is a really bad "update" of the old "good" version. so my question to you with that in mind is- have you tried it since the reformulation and if you have have you noticed a change?

HHURST said...

The Java Chip Frappuccino is pretty damn great if you ask me! I love dark chocolate and the ice cream taste just like the FRAP...I don't know what else to say. I'm hooked...I'm looking for my fix. That's how I found your blog! AH HA!

Unknown said...

Feather:
I wanted to like it- I really, really did. Alas, even with a second taste it just didn't happen.

But the good news is that means more for you!