Monday, June 2, 2008

Dark Raisinets

Photobucket
Raisinets are another of those candies that evoke childhood memories for me.
It's not that we were exactly deprived of candy as kids, but there was a definite difference between the candy bought for the three of us kids and the candy my father bought for himself. It's not that he got himself high end stuff and got us cheap bulk candy (truth be told "back in the day" when I was just a youth there really wasn't all that much high end candy). No, he just got himself things I deemed more interesting then M&M's.

He almost always had a stash of chocolate covered raisins... and a certain someone took great pleasure in any available opportunity to snag some of said raisins. As an adult (kind of) I still find myself wishing raisins were used in candy more.

To be honest I haven't bought a box of Raisinets in years- personally I think Trader Joe's version is far better and cheaper! But this box of the dark chocolate variety just sort of called out to me.

The Raisinets are plump and juicy and fairly glossy little numbers. The coating is generously thick and Nestle actually uses real chocolate here (although it is real chocolate made with fake vanilla flavor so figure that one out)
The chocolate tasted pretty much exactly like Toll House Morsels (which I happen to love) They also melt pretty well even though they are a little waxy at first.

I still prefer the TJ's version but if I were to buy a box of these- say at the movies the dark version would be my choice. I also think this version would be fantastic baked in cookies.

PURCHASED FROM:
Blockbuster Video

1 comment:

Unknown said...

definately agree with you about these in cookies being divine...but personally you cant beat Yogurt covered Raisins...so incredibly moreish!

Jim